The School of Law supported its first-generation college graduates throughout the oftentimes difficult 2020–21 academic year through various programs and resources.
One of First Start Coordinator Amanda J. Fox’s (J.D.’14) main programs over the past year was the creation of accountability groups.
Fox led two accountability cohorts during the fall semester – one for first-generation college graduates and one for first-generation law students. The groups met monthly to discuss different components of law school success. Each student was also matched with an accountability partner whose role was to ensure that the other was working toward meeting his/her academic goals around that particular focus. For example, in September, they discussed class preparation strategies. Afterward the students met individually with their partner to set goals and hold each other accountable for completing their reading and briefing their cases. Other monthly topics included outlining and test preparation.
The First-Start Scholars Program at the law school was created thanks to a $3 million gift – the largest outright donation in school history – from 1982 alumna Kathelen V. Amos and the Daniel P. Amos Family Foundation. The program offers first-generation college students partial tuition scholarships and professional development stipends.
The school is also home to the First-Generation Students Association, which creates community for students who are the first in their families to attend college. This student-led organization serves as an organizing force around the social, academic, emotional and financial issues relevant to first-generation students both within and outside of the law school environment.
Additional scholarship funds available to first-generation law students include:
- The AnBryce Scholarship
- The James M. Cagle Scholarship Fund
- The Cox Law School Honors Scholarship Fund
- The Judge B. Avant Edenfield Scholarship
- The Stacey Godfrey Evans Scholarship
- The First-Generation Scholarship Matching Fund
- The First-Start Scholars Fund
- The Judge Steve C. Jones Scholarship Fund
- The Loudermilk Family First-Start Scholars Fund
- The Parker Law School Honors Scholarship Fund
- The Pin Point Scholarship
- The Michael N. and Risë J. Weathersby Family Scholarship
- The Harley Yancey Law School Honors Scholarship Fund
- The Waters Law School Honors Scholarship Fund